Friday, August 14, 2009

Slow and Steady

We are just so proud of our little man! This blog is strictly going to be about me BRAGGING on the progress and improvements that we are seeing in Austin. I can do that...I'm his Mommy! :)

Summer school just wrapped up this week and I had a chance to sit down with his teacher for a parent/teacher conference. I did this at the end of the regular school year too so I wasn't planning on seeing much change but was pleasantly surprised in the "slow and steady" progress that Austin has made during summer school.

I was able to capture a few of the things that Austin is doing better with on camera. It's all about small wins in our family! I never thought I would get so excited about some of the smallest things that Austin does but having a child with autism has changed my life (and I truly think for the better) . Things that just come so naturally to most children (things you don't teach, they just "happen") like pointing to things they want or playing with toys appropriately (driving a car and not just spinning it's wheels or stacking blocks and not just chewing on them) have been such a challenge for Austin. I see how hard he struggles to accomplish some things and it just kills me sometimes. But when he does finally "get" something then it's like a party in our house! WooHoo! :)

In this picture it just looks like Austin really isn't doing anything, right??? WRONG!!! To actually have Austin (#1) look up at you when you call his name and (#2) smile b/c he understands that you are taking his picture is one of the most rewarding things in the world for me. Most people don't have to "teach" how to respond appropriately when someone is calling their name. It is just something we naturally do as we develop.
Here Austin is working on his fine motor skills and becoming a better utensil user.


This last picture is of Austin stacking blocks with no reinforcement or help. He FINALLY understands the purpose of a block and the fun you can have by using it the correct way. :)

HORRAY FOR AUSTIN! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!


2 comments:

Oma said...

I am so proud of Austin but even more proud of you and Casey and all you have done to help Austin along his way in life.

Barb said...

Ditto to what Paula said...you two are exceptional parents with an exceptional child!!! Love all of you and thanks for updating the blog so frequently since we don't live close! Mom and Bob