Thursday, October 29, 2009

Off To School

During the past month or so Austin has been overcoming some pretty tough challenges. These may sound so little and meaningless but I will be the first one to tell you that raising an autistic child has changed the way I look at every situation. Things and actions I might have thought as insignificant and "no big deal" are now MIRACULOUS FEATS! :)

So it has been a struggle since starting school last March with getting Austin to wear his backpack and carry his own lunchbox. Now big deal, right? WRONG!!! Getting and showing an autistic child the importance of responsibility and ownership of something is so difficult. Not to mention if they have sensory issues that make wearing something on their back much more difficult.

I AM SO PROUD TO ANNOUNCE THAT AUSTIN NOW WEARS HIS BACKPACK AND CARRIES HIS LUNCH!!! It only took 2-3 days of REALLY pushing him to do and with A LOT of crying and tantruming. :)

Doesn't he looks so BIG? :)



I apologize for the video. I can't figure out how to rotate a video you have already shot longways. SORRY! :)

No comments: