Tuesday, March 18, 2008

1st Scar of many to come

On Sunday evening, we were at a friend's house. All was great and the men left to go get food while the women stayed with the kids. Austin was playing in their living room when he tripped and fell and bumped his forehead on a tack strip that is in the middle of the floor connecting the hardwood floor from the kitchen to the carpet in the living room. I ask you all...what are the chances that you would bang your head on the one nail that was sticking up from that tack strip? You might say 1 in 1000 or even 1 in 100,000. But if you belong to the Blackburn family then you know quite well that things just seem to happen when the odds are terrible. Some might say that the Blackburn family has "bad karma." Needless to say, Austin cut his forehead on the head of this nail and started to bleed. GREAT! I finally got the bleeding stopped and Austin calmed down so I had a chance to really look at the wound. The best way I know how to describe it is that it looked like a divit had been spooned out of his forehead about the size of a pea. We decided not to take him to the Emergency Room since it wasn't bleeding anymore and the injury didn't seem to be bothering him. I also knew that I had his 18 month check up the next morning and could discuss it with the doctor then.

At the pediatrian's office the next day, he said that there wasn't much he could do, but that it would leave a scar and that hopefully with time it would fade. GREAT AGAIN! Thank God I have a boy and that scars look cool on them b/c I was devistated that he had gotten hurt and are now going to have a lasting memory of it. But I know that this will not be the last scar he will ever get but I will always remember this as his 1st.



1 comment:

Vanessa Bouché said...

At least the scar will be smack-dab in the middle of his forehead. It'll look nice and symmetrical. And you're totally right about the gender thing. He'll look like a tough, weathered man's man when he's older, someone who can hack a nail through the skull!