Friday, June 18, 2010

Safety 1st


Ever since Austin could walk, Casey and I have been HYPER-VIGILANT about keeping Austin close when outside or anywhere in public. One of the struggles and challenges we have had with Austin since he was very young is his inability to respond and understand situations of danger and safety.

See...for autistic children the word, "STOP!" or "WATCH OUT!" or "BE CAREFUL!" or even "NO!" are like a foreign language. To be honest they don't even really hear what you are saying b/c they are off in their own world. So if they are playing at the park and wonder close to the busy street, they would not stop dead in their tracks like a normal child when you scream at the top of your lungs, "STOP...DON'T MOVE!" They cannot sense the fear and hysteria in your voice to know something is wrong and that they should be scared too.

Because of this, Casey and I have been conditioned to keep Austin is situations that we can control for fear of him running of and getting hurt. I have been THAT MOM who has chased Austin through a department store b/c I let him out of his stroller or down the street b/c he wouldn't hold my hand. In all honesty, Austin didn't know any better. Looking back on it now though...I'm sure it is a hilarious site to see a grown woman in a full-out sprint chasing her 3 year old who seems to be faster than she is. :)

Over the past month though we have seen a HUGE improvement with Austin's sense of (what I call) his "safety-vicinity" in relation to Casey and myself. But we have also seen a new and potentially dangerous curiosity develop in him too. For example, I no longer have to hold Austin's hand when walking from the house to the car or the car to the school b/c he will stay right next to me. It is the same when walking in a parking lot from the car to the store. And if Austin wanders a few steps I can say, "Austin, this way!" and he will look up and get back on course. He has also given me a few near heart attacks when at the park or in my parents' driveway. He will take off running and right when I think he is going to running into the street he stops and turns around and gives me this look of "Why are you screaming? I was totally going to stop." :)

Now some of the new curious/adventurous behaviors do make Casey and I a little uneasy so we continue to keep a close eye on him. Austin is now able to successfully unlock and open doors so we now have child-proof knobs on all the doors that lead outside so he can't wander outside without us knowing. Another area of concern is the stovetop. Now that Austin is tall enough to really understand that I cook food up there he comes along side me and is beginning to put his hand up on the edge to see what's cooking.

So, as you can see, we have a lot of areas to focus on and are currently trying to teach Austin about safety and danger and when it is appropriate to be fearful in a situation. But at the same time, we are excited about his new level of independence and understanding.

No comments: