Thursday, July 16, 2009

New Update on Austin

So...we had our 1st follow-up appointment (well actually it was a phone consult since he is in NJ) with Dr. Neubrander today since beginning MB12 shots and having some other blood work done. Overall it was a great appointment. We learned a lot and have new treatments that we will be beginning shortly.

Here's the low down...

In reference to MB12 treatment Austin is DEFINITELY a responder and we will be continuing the shots every 3 days for the unforeseeable future. From what we have learned Austin will be on it for years with the hopes of being able to scale back over time and his body will be able to do what it's supposed to do naturally. As we continue with MB12 we will be increasing the shots to every other day and eventually every day but must get other supplements in order first to help prevent any potential side effects.

The methylation pathway in the body is responsible for proper brain development as well as keeping the immune system healthy. We have learned that the immune systems in autistic kids are terrible and answers why they suffer from such severe gastrointestinal problems. Austin has a low Homocysteine level, which is an amino acid vital for producing MB12 to support brain function AND glutathione--the most important peptide supporting immune system. Since the body uses homocysteine for both, his body has to make a choice: support brain function, or fight illness. Most of us know this feeling when we get sick--it's usually harder to think straight. Well, Austin's body is giving all the homocysteine it can to support a hyperactive immune system (because of food allergies and probably yeast overgrowth and other things). The solution: heal the body (allergies, yeast, etc.), increase the glutathione (so his body can use homocysteine for brain function) and increase MB12 (also for brain function). We also learned that Austin suffers from a gene mutation directly related to the methylation pathway. Therefore, he is unable to convert certain amino acids into a form that is useful for MB12 and ultimately achieve proper brain function. This can also be addressed by introducing specific supplements.

Dr. Neubrander has order 2 more tests to be conducted to determine if Austin has yeast and bacteria overgrowth in his intestinal system (Casey and I both feel that he probably does). Once these results are back we will be able to begin addressing all the gut issues that Austin suffers from. As we have learned all too well there is a correlation between the gut and the brain.

Over the past 6 weeks we have been seeing improvements in Austin and are overjoyed to say the least. We are so proud of our little boy and the strides he has already made. Please continue to pray for him and that he responds to new treatments.

I wanted to include this funny video of Austin. I came in to get him up from the night's sleep and found him doing this. He can be just the funniest little kid some times! :)

4 comments:

Corrie said...

I am so sorry to hear about everything yall are going through! Jason and I will definitely be praying for Austin in hopes that you will have success and some relief for your baby. I know I can not relate to exactly what you are going through but what I do know is how hard it is to have a baby that you do not know exactly what to do to make him better. It is one of the most helpless things a parent can go through. If you ever need someone to vent too feel free to call! Hang in there!

Unknown said...

Glad to know Austin is responding well. He is such a great kid. That's a cute Video, Christian just came over and said " I wish I had a little brother just like Austin" I just thought that was the sweetest thing! Hang in there guys...Austin is defenitly Awesome and he will continue to show that!

Love you guys!

Anonymous said...

Isn't it amazing what science can tell us these days!?!? I am so glad you guys are able to get answers and are seeing progress and success from all you are doing! Prayers that all continues to go well!

Amanda said...

Our buddy, Austin, is definitely in our prayers. Thanks for the update on everything. Interesting stuff. You guys as parents are in our prayers, too. You are facing this challenge head-on, and with God's help & guidance, Austin can overcome this! Miss you guys!