Thursday, January 19, 2012

Look who found Nemo!

I have been waiting for the day that Austin would finally like Finding Nemo.  It is one of my favorite children's movies.  Austin has never been able to get into a full-length movie.  There is just too much going on for him to be able to focus on.  He LOVES lots of Disney shows on Disney Junior but they are only 30 min and are very basic preschool shows so they keep his attention much more easily.

The other evening Casey opened the dvd drawer to let Austin choose something to watch.  When he asked him, "What do you want to watch?"  Austin replied, "I want turtle!"  We were both a little puzzled until Austin grabbed the Finding Nemo dvd (which has a giant sea turtle on the cover) and opened it up and took out the dvd.  We popped it in and Austin has been in love ever since!  

I hope that this love for movies continues to grow b/c both Casey and I enjoy movie night.  I can't wait until the day I can take Austin to his 1st movie at a theater!  :)  One of the local autism groups I am a member of has monthly movie events at AMC Movie Theater.  They really cater to children on the spectrum and make it an experience that they can enjoy without causing problems for the rest of the movie-watching community.  The theater turns down the volume and keeps the lights on to help with sensory stimulation problems.  You are also allowed to bring your own food and drink since so many ASD children have food allergies.  And my favorite part about the whole experience is that anyone and everyone is free to get up and "stim" or move around.  Try asking an autistic kid to sitl still and be quiet...ya right!  We will definitely feel at home here!  :)  





Austin's favorite part seems to be the sharks.  He laughs hysterically at them.  :)  

2 comments:

Mom and Bob said...

We are so proud! Looking forward to Austin attending his first movie at a theater!

Oma said...

I love it that Austin has discovered Nemo. I love that movie. Such fun!